Monuments from early antics, Villa Rustica, late antic mausoleum, ruins of the early Christian basilica and monumental olive oil mill testify the early presence of the mankind in this area.
Build in the 5 th century as a three nave basilica with semicircular apse, with later added cells (rooms) and by the end of the 5 th century there is a pentagonal apse added. Big layer of water proof mortar shows that it served as a baptistery. Historical data show that it was a church until middle 18 th century, when it was sanctified to St John, and the whole locality now has the name STIVON.
Ancient Christian memoria
The central space is surrounded with apse and exedra. In the west there is a hall ( Prothyron) from which you enter the martirium. In the apses there are sarcophaguses with bodies of martyrs, and the floors are decorated with multicolor mosaics ( today in the archeological museum of Zadar). This memoria also has rooms added on the side, and the oldest building is from the second half of the 4 th century.
Convent of St Hieronymus
In the centre of the town there is a beautiful building in the sandy beach of Mostir. The convent was build in 1430. with simple gothic church of St Hieronymus consecrated in the 1447. The architect is Juraj Lukaci-Zavaliska. In the cloister of the convent there is a decorated tomb stone of the founder of glagolic print shop in Rijeka, the bishop Simun Kozicic-Benja ( 1460-1536)
It is placed in Muline, from 1 or 2 century aD. It is the oldest roman building in Ugljan, and has ruins of olive oil mill.
Church of St Kosmas and St Damien
Build in 11. th or 12 th century in late pre Romanic stile. The legend says that the merchant Torricella built it, who was saved in shipwreck and who swim to that place. It is the oldest church in Ugljan. It is placed in the docile cove of Ljokina, and there is a path leading to it, ideal for cyclists and pedestrians.
Church of St Hipolit
The church of St Hipolit is placed in the village of Varos in the centre of Ugljan. Build in the 11.th or 13 th century, and lately redecorated in gothic style. It was first mentioned in the documents in 1374.. It has the late baroque altar.
Church of Uznesenja Blažene djevice Marije
It is placed in the centre of the town, on a hill, so that the bell tower makes recognizable image of the town. It was first mentioned in history documents in 1401. Altair is decorated by baroque painting from 18 th century.
Church of all the Saints
In the village of Gornje selo there is a Church of all the saints built in 12 th or 13 th century. It is placed in a small hill from which there is a beautiful view on entire Ugljan.
Church of Sv Petar ( St. Peter)
The end of the island, the cape itself got its name by this church, the medieval pronunciation of its name - Supetar. Only the walls of the church are saved, up to 1,5 m. In the inside there is an inscription of the year 1510 AD, and a cross. It has older architectural style, early Romanic.
The castle of "BERŠIĆ"
It is placed in the village of Gornje selo. Built by the land lord Califfi in the 17 th century, managed by the family of Bersic ( Brcic), now days it is completely restored and has a name of world famous basketball player Kresimir Cosic.